The miners’ hospital in Erlabrunn was the first new hospital to be built in the new German Democratic Republic. In just about twelve months, in 1950, the construction of a five-storey building with 1200 beds was built. The architecture of the hospital correspond the contemporary classicism of the Soviet Union. The Erlabrunn miners’ hospital is representative of the social institutions created within the context of uranium ore mining in the Ore Mountains in and around Johanngeorgenstadt. The miners’ hospital, particularly through its size, illustrates the intensity of uranium ore mining after the Second World War.