Lime Works in Háj near Loučná pod Klínovcem


Historical records of ore mining in the Ore Mountains begin in 1168, when silver ores were discovered in the vicinity of today's Freiberg. More than 800 years of mining history of the Ore Mountains are based on this discovery.

The lime works, located in a wooded landscape between the villages of Kovářská and Háj near Loučná pod Klínovcem, is the most significant preserved evidence of the extraction and processing of calcareous rocks for the production of lime in the Czech part of the Ore Mountains. From the original lime works, two polygonal furnaces dating back to the 1850s and remains of other structures have been preserved. The site which served its purpose until the mid-1920s also encompasses the nearby quarry in which dolomitic marble was extracted. The lime works have been restored in 2020 and is now accessible to public during summer season.