Monuments of the Wooden Craft Art in Seiffen


Historical records of ore mining in the Ore Mountains begin in 1168, when silver ores were discovered in the vicinity of today's Freiberg. More than 800 years of mining history of the Ore Mountains are based on this discovery.

Seiffen with its selected monuments, the Reifendrehwerk (tyre turnery for wooden crafts production) and the Miners’ Church, documents the development of wood-making crafts in the Ore Mountains, known throughout the world. It is an example of an early mining following up industry in the Ore Mountains in the second half of the 18th century.

As in many other places in the Ore Mountains, Seiffen has its roots in mining. In the second half of the 18th century, the Seiffen area was undergoing a change from mining to wood processing. The Reifendrehen method developed in Seiffen as a special form of wood turning, it was principally applied to the manufacture of the wooden toys typical of Seiffen. As early as the 18th century, trade with them gained European and worldwide importance. One of the mills constructed for wood processing is the Preißler water powered turnery built in 1758–1760.

The Seiffen miners’ church was and still is frequently used as a motif in woodwork art. This octagonal church, built in the 18th century, is one of the well-known sacred buildings in the Ore Mountains.