The Komáří hůrka Hill open-work is the largest aboveground remnant of mining in the Krupka mining district. This oval-shaped open-work (combined with an underground collapse) has a surface area of around 5,000 m2 and measures 140 x 45 m x up to 75 m deep. A large greisen body was exploited that carried pervasive impregnations of cassiterite (tin ore), chalcopyrite (copper) and pyrite.
Mining in this area has been documented in writings already in 1416. Since the end of the 15th century, this area was penetrated by the Dürrholz drainage adit, the most important historic adit of the Krupka district. Near the Komáří hůrka openwork, a number of mines once operated, the most important of which was the Glatz mine founded in the 1680s on the site of older operations. It was used to extract tin and to a lesser extent, copper ore from a depth approaching 200 m.
The nearby St. Wolfgang’s chapel (consecrated to St. Wolfgang, the patron saint of miners), was originally a Gothic chapel, but was rebuilt in the Baroque style between the years 1692-1700. Several years later a small cemetery was founded beside the chapel. It testifies to the extensive settlement activity of the miners in search for tin ore that took them to the highest levels of the mountains.