The Buchholz Mining Landscape is situated southwest of Annaberg on the west side of the Sehma River above the mining town Buchholz in a forest area. It is separate from the Annaberg mining landscape because it was located on the territory of the Ernestian family line of the noble family of the Wettins. The Sehma River was between 1485 and 1547 the border between the territory of the Elector of Saxony from the Ernestian family line of the noble family of the Wettins with their mining town Buchholz on the west bank, and the territory of the Albertian family line of the Wettins ruling the dukedom of Saxony with their mining town Annaberg on the east bank. In 1495 in the direct neighbourhood of Annaberg a second mining settlement, Buchholz was founded here as a rival mining settlement to Annaberg, which belonged to the Albertine line.
Through its preserved monuments, the mining landscape above the town of Buchholz testifies to the mining of tin ore within an area dominated by silver mining from the 15th to the 17th centuries and a short period of uranium mining in the mid-20th century. It began with tin placer mining followed by underground mining of tin veins. The small forest above Buchholz contains traces of placer mining from the 15th century with numerous, now overgrown heaps and of deep shaft collapses which are testimony to underground mining. The only two preserved terraconic waste heaps of uranium mines are located nearby outside the forest area.