North of the forest and directly above the town the double-cone waste heap as well as a less conspicuous large uniform heap to the southwest characterise the landscape and bear eloquent witness to intensive uranium ore mining undertaken in the middle of the 20th century on the Buchholz field. The final mining phase was undertaken by the Soviet public company Wismut. The striking waste heaps of the shaft date back to the brief surveying and extraction period, lasting a mere decade. The vertical shaft reached a final depth of 186.7 m. The closure of the mine in 1957 sealed the end of the final mining period in the region. The two blunt terraconic waste heaps represent mining heaps characteristic of uranium ore mining, whose shape arises from the use of an inclined hoist (terraconic) in the tipping process. These double-cone tips are now among the last preserved sites of their kind.