Underhand stoping areas


Historical records of ore mining in the Ore Mountains begin in 1168, when silver ores were discovered in the vicinity of today's Freiberg. More than 800 years of mining history of the Ore Mountains are based on this discovery.

At the south side of the large waste heap of the Sauberger main and pilot shaft the remains of an underhand stoping area from the 15th/16th century are preserved. It shows the deep and around 3 m wide cut into the mountain following the lode. In the surrounding rock man-made holes as counterbearings for the wooden beams of the underhand stopping are carved in.