Thurmhof Shaft


Historical records of ore mining in the Ore Mountains begin in 1168, when silver ores were discovered in the vicinity of today's Freiberg. More than 800 years of mining history of the Ore Mountains are based on this discovery.

The Thurmhof Schacht (shaft) was sunk between 1842 and 1857 and reached 1896 a depth of around 580 metres. Preserved is the wheel chamber with its still functional water wheel of the shafts stamp mill located 3 to 12 metres under the surface level of the shafts waste rock heap. With a diameter of 9 metres this wooden water wheel (built 1845/46) is a rare example of the water power machines used in the Ore Mountains from the 16th to the late 19th century. The water for the wheel was and still is supplied by the Himmelfahrter Kunstgraben (ditch), connected to the water supply system of the Aktive Revierwasserlaufanstalt Freiberg/RWA (active mining water management system) and drained by an underground tunnel to the Abraham Schacht (shaft) where it was used to supply the water wheels of this shaft.