Stilted up today, the course of the ore canal remained visible in the landscape. The canal is connected to the Mulde River that is running parallel by the remains of the boat lifts. The entire canal system exceeded 11 km. To improve the transport of ore from the mines to the smeltery, a shipping canal was constructed in 1788/89 (Churprinzer canal) and enlarged in 1790/92 (Christbescherunger canal). The canal was fitted with two ore-boat lifts, which are probably among the oldest boat lifts in the world. Ore ceased to be transported by barge in 1868, when the canal water started being used to supply a turbine mine water pumping system (Kunstgezeug) during construction of the Rothschönberger Stolln (drainage gallery) at Lichtloch VII (air shaft).