The Filzteich (pond), built between 1483 and 1485, is one of the earliest and largest reservoirs in the Schneeberg mining landscape. Its geographical position enabled water to be supplied both directly and indirectly to most of the mines. Together with its branched water inlets, it marks the western border of the Schneeberg-Neustädtel mining landscape. The Filzteich takes its name from the peat bogs in the catchment area, which were known as “Filz” (felt) in the local jargon. It was formed by damming the Seifenbach and Filzbach streams. The former of these streams was named after the placer tin deposits, which used to be extracted here.
Following the construction of the Filzteich, a system of man-made channels was developed stretching over several kilometres, which was subsequently changed several times. The use of the water ensued in a cascade manner, while the discharging of the motive-water used took place via the deep adits of Schneeberg into the corresponding receiving waters. The ditches were originally mostly covered with bark slabs, but in part also completely covered with stone slabs and arable earth. The man-made ditch which is no longer covered has been re-established as far as the Peter und Paul mine as partially water-filled ditch and secured along specific sections using quarry stone masonry or timbering.
A wooden Striegelhaus (control hut), in which the Striegel (devices for opening the water gate) were situated, was originally located above the stone gate that was newly constructed between 1783 and 1786. In the second third of the 20th century, it was replaced by a solid quarry stone construction, on which the dominating watch tower of the water rescue service is set today. From the water gate, iron bars now lead to the underwater gate, which is largely preserved in its original condition. The water passed through the reservoir dam via the gate complex and flowed through the Rückdammrösche (leat) into the main man-made ditch. The mouth of the Rückdammrösche can be reached via a stone stairway from the top of the dam. An old granite plaque embedded here serves as a reminder of the 1783 breach in the reservoir dam. The Filzteich dam spillway was built to relieve the pressure in the event of an excess of water building up. The spillway constructed after the dam breach was later reduced in size by half.