Knappschaftsteich Pond


Historical records of ore mining in the Ore Mountains begin in 1168, when silver ores were discovered in the vicinity of today's Freiberg. More than 800 years of mining history of the Ore Mountains are based on this discovery.

The Knappschaftsteich (pond), created in 1684, directly borders the Siebenschlehen Pochwerk (stamp mill) complex. This is a Pochwerksteich (pond), which served to provide the motive-water for another stamp mill situated below the Siebenschlehen Pochwerk. The reservoir contains a loam sealed earth dam, a terrace wall, a Striegelhaus (control hut) as well as a spillway. The pit obtained the water used to operate the stamp mill and the ore washer via the 600 m long Pochwerksgraben (ditch) from the Lindenauer pond.