There is evidence of mining in the area of the Sauschwart Fundgrube (mine) as early as the end of the 15th century. As was the case with other pits, the period of silver ore mining was followed by mining for cobalt and other ores. The extraction of cobalt enjoyed a heyday between 1649 and 1673. After 1673, it proved necessary to abandon underground mining due to inundation by ground water. Following the driving of the Markus Semmler adit through to the mine in the middle of the 18th century, which was subsequently used to drain the water from the previous underground mining area, the mine developed into one of the most important in the district. In 1835, the neighbouring Junge Kalbe and Frisch Glück mines were added to the Sauschwart Fundgrube – as was the Rosenkranz mine in 1860. From 1860, the Beust shaft was sunk as the new main production shaft of the mine. The consolidation with the Gesellschaft Fundgrube ensued at the same time. From 1925, the Handhaspel (manual winder) was replaced by an electric conveyor. Up to 1929, bismuth ores were extracted from the Sauschwart Fundgrube surface shaft. The Sauschwart Fundgrube (mine) waste heap consists of a uniform heap of some 100 m in diameter adapted to the terrain. The surface buildings are located directly on the waste heap. The ring-shaped minecart track set up on the plateau of the heap from the final mining period is visible.